A Man of Vision – Franklin’s Tom Godsell

A MAN OF VISION — FRANKLIN’S TOM GODSELL As the history of a city is written there are certain individuals who are usually recognized as being responsible for major changes in that city. One of those men was Tom Godsell — often called the “Founding Father of Franklin”. Serving as Town Chairman from 1949 to […]

Civil War in Song

Civil War In Song On Saturday April 11, 2015 the Franklin Historical Society as part of our annual membership meeting will present our renowned “Civil War In Song” program. The membership meeting will start at 12:30 PM in the Fadrow room of the Franklin Public Library, 9151 W. Loomis Rd. The Civil War In Song […]

St. Peter’s Chapel

Franklin: Then and Now ST. PETER’S CHAPEL: THEN & NOW It was once known as St. Peter’s Lutheran Church when it stood on its original site located on S. 68 th St., north of Rawson Avenue. Built in 1869 by German Lutherans who had left St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Franklin, the church remained in […]

Pioneer Cemeteries – Reminders of The Past

Pioneer Cemeteries – Reminders of The Past When presenting the history of the Franklin area, the final resting places of its earliest settlers are sometimes overlooked. Often people pass by these cemeteries and are unaware of their existence or that these grave markers tell a story about the immigrant families that chose to settle in […]


SACRED HEART SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY The Sacred Heart School of Theology, located on Hwy. 100 near Rawson Avenue, was originally known as the Sacred Heart Monastery and as a seminary for the training of men into the priesthood. It was originally built across the street from the present buildings. The original building was built in […]

When Ice Cutting Was Winter Work

PHOTO:  This is an old photo of the ice house that stood in St. Martins until 2008.  It was used as an ice house from 1850-1935. If this was the early 20th century it would be that time of the year when ice harvesting on the lakes, ponds and rivers would be occurring.  In the “good […]

Newsletter – June 2013

Franklin Historical Society June Newsletter (for download click here) First  order of business is a start of a new series of stories of Franklin’s Founding Farming Families by board member Judy Scherrer,  our FHS’s historian. Judy has been writing for sometime a series of articles for the now Chronicle newspaper called Historically Speaking.   BOLDT  […]